Thursday, January 4, 2018

Jonathan Blow left the left

Last year, my favorite game developer Jonathan Blow Tweeted against the illiberal left.
Many many people are looking at the words and actions of those on the left and when they ask themselves, "do I want these people to be in power?" The answer is clearly no...

I say "people on the left" because that doesn't include me any more. I used to consider myself comfortably on the left. My Facebook feed is 100% people on the left. But over the past couple of years I have been repelled from the left, because I just see too many stupid people doing stupid things; it's all about following a dogma, very little about critical thinking and trying to understand the truth. It is, at this point pretty far divorced from reality, which in part is what allowed Trump to happen.
And this goes along with what I think is Trump's super-weapon, trolling:


I suspect Blow would agree with what Jonathan Haidt is doing about viewpoint diversity.

I also recommended Jonathan Blow for Tyler Cowen's series Conversations with Tyler. Blow has interesting views on morality, and video games as art. I notice his twitter includes Lesswrong/Rationalist types like Julia Galef and SlateStarCodex, which gave me a serious worlds collide moment.