Sunday, January 14, 2018

Does Trump Matter?

For me, Econlog is about 80% Bryan Caplan and 10% Scott Sumner and David Henderson. The reason is that Scott is too about monetary policy, something I know nothing about. And David while his kindness shows through in his writing and I'm sure he's a smart guy, leaves me bored.

Still, I enjoyed David Henderson's Has President Trump been very Influential? I think the answer is, yes but not as much as people think.

What has Trump influenced?

Tax policy
Immigration policy
appointment of judges
and
regulation

Unexpectedly, Trump hasn't been very influential in terms of International Trade. This is fortunate since it's one of the areas where Trump's rhetoric is awful. It causes me to suspect that perhaps his stated beliefs do not match his actual beliefs. I think many took Hillary as doing this. In debates she renounced things like NAFTA, but was unconvincing to those who were paying attention.

I don't think many thought Trump was telling noble lies when renouncing things like NAFTA. Since he has mostly left free trade alone, it makes me want to investigate how hard Trump has actually been trying to "protect American workers from China." If not, then that's reason to doubt how ardently he really believes what he was saying to get elected.