Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Does the Death Penalty Work?

Bryan Caplan passes the ideological turing test and argues against his own side here:
I'm not advocating the death penalty for drug offenses. In fact, I consider drug prohibition to be a heinous crime against humanity. But in the absence of overwhelming contrary evidence, we should still believe that the death penalty heavily deters drug use.
A tell that someone is ideologically biased is their willingness to swallow every piece of evidence that supports their view. Bryan Caplan is not that kind of thinker.

I have a similar view on minimum wage. While I think minimum wage probably has more benefits than costs, I comfortably admit one of those costs is almost certainly disemployment effects for the very people the policy is constructed to help!

Another on Gun Control: adding some extra gun control likely has net benefits. But I'm likely to get frustrated with leftists who bulldoze over millions of gun owners to somewhat reduce the already miniscule number of people who die from mass shootings.

Gender rights. I don't think anyone should be forced into gender stereotypes. But the psychological literature on natural gender differences is overwhelming.

Bryan Caplan calls drug prohibition a heinous crime against humanity, but we should be honest and not pretend like that means it doesn't work.