Monday, June 15, 2015

Iceland Trolls and American Evolution Deniers

So I was sitting on a park bench next to someone was talking with their friend about her trip to Iceland.

"50% of Icelanders still believe in trolls"
"In the 21st century? That's so weird, I want to go to Iceland"

I have no idea if the fact about Iceland is true, but it reminded me of a fact about the United States that doesn't instigate the same kind of reaction. Some large percent of the United States don't believe in evolution. The level of feeling skyrockets to moral outrage over the United States fact, but the Iceland fact is accepted with dispassionate tolerance. Which I think is crazy since the two matters are about as practical as each other.

And by the way, I really want to hear the debate in Iceland over whether trolls should be taught in school.