Friday, June 8, 2018

What nobody wants to see about the Implicit Bias Test

I was listening to a new (to me) podcast called Very Bad Wizards. It's hosted by a psychologist and a philosopher, and they approach their topics with a fair amount of skepticism. In looking at their history, I notice several episodes with Paul Bloom that I'll probably listen to. It's also interesting that one of them is related to Christina Hoff Sommers whom is someone of note (I don't know if I like her yet)

This particular episode was about Implicit Bias. Though conversation was thoughtful and fair, I thought they missed an important point. It's rather obvious why the point is overlooked, but for science(!) it seems like it should be considered:

What if implicit bias is just accurate statistical reasoning? For whatever causes, African Americans have ended up with some undesirable qualities on average (high violent crime rate and low IQs for example). We can put Murrayism aside and say this is 100% due to generations of systemic bias. It doesn't really matter because the outcome is there. If someone intuits that outcome correctly then it isn't a bias, it's accurately assessing a baseline probability.