Friday, December 15, 2017

Are Children Safer than they used to be?


Child mortality rates have fallen by nearly half since 1990, largely do to 15-19 year olds becoming much safer.

Am I the only one who notices that in 1990 the mortality rate of 15-19 year olds is nearly on percent.

1%! That's huge!

I notice 0-1 year olds do not make the list. I know that they're the most vulnerable age category, but I'd like to see if there's been a change since 1990. The fact that they omitted that category leads me to believe that they're at best just as safe as they used to be, at worst slightly more vulnerable?

The article makes the point that childhood vaccines are doing much of the good, homicide reductions are also important. So are the reduced number of instances of children being hit by a car. They also quote Bryan Caplan near the end of the article.