Wednesday, December 20, 2017

My Microsoft Refund Experience

Recently, my 3 year old son accidentally bought $200 worth of downloadable content for Xbox. I went to the Xbox support website where they hooked me up in chat with a customer service representative. Here is a verbatim account of the transaction:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, thanks for visiting Xbox Support! I'm Christian V.
Hi, I hope you are doing good today.


I'm okay, thank you :)
My 3 year old son accidentally bought some DLC for Fortnite earlier today
I was wondering if you could undo the purchase

Pleasure to meet you here Eli, I'm sorry to hear about your concern, thanks for bringing this to us, no worries, you have me here, I will help you sort this out.

Thank you Christian V

You are most welcome Eli, let me just pull up your account here on our system for me to be able to properly help you.
May I have your gamertag please?

EliWilliam2020

Just to clarify, this is where the purchase happened, is that correct?

That's correct

Thanks Eli, the system has sent a verification code to all the email adress and phone numbers attached to the account, please check one and provide the code here, thanks.

Sure just a sec
(Typed code)

Thanks Eli, pulling up the account now, may I also know what did your 3 yr old purchased?

Yup, just a sec
-Fortnite Deluxe to Super Deluxe upgrade
-Fortnite Standard Founders Pack
-Fortnite Deluxe Founders Pack

Oh, wow! I really want to help you here Eli, please bare with me here to check if we can refund this items, one moment please.
Thank you so much for patiently waiting Eli!
Good news!
I will be processing the refund.


Christian, you made me very happy
and my wife too

However and just to set your expectations, as per terms of use, all purchases here are final and non-refundable.
This issue should never happen to you again as everything here is recorded and this refund will be our 1 time deal, alright?
I would advice that you assign a passkey on your account to prevent this from happening again. thanks for understanding Eli.


100% I was just about to say that!
Thank you for your help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christian then asked me to review the experience after I ended the chat, and I did.

Note that never once did I huff in as an angry consumer demanding that justice be done or else I'm never shopping here again. I was polite and there was nothing but helpfulness in response.

Click here to see my thoughts before I was refunded.