Friday, December 29, 2017

Lots of Professional Personality Tests

A survey of psychological tests were prompted by SlateStar in a recent post. The following are links to the tests alongside my results.


The test points out that scores between 33 and 50 indicate significant autistic traits. "Significant" is a tricky word as it is used here. It could mean that within this range one is very autistic. Or it could mean within this range one is very likely autistic, even if it's a little. This confusion often comes up when statisticians use the term "statistically significant," which sound like it means the effects were big, but really just means the effects however small are likely.

Anyway, there's no surprise here. Just ask the people around me whether I might be on the spectrum. At least that question that plagued me from ages 5-25 is answered. That question, "what is wrong with me? Why am I so different?"

22% Masculine (low)
39% Feminine (average)

Again, I'm not surprised. I'm hardly a stereotypical male. I often make fun of myself for having narrowly distributed "man points" on only video games and... well I guess that's it.

The next test is very similar, and I got somewhat similar results.

Masculine 100
Feminine 104

I'll begin hormone therapy tomorrow I guess...

I notice a bit of a tension between how I performed on the autism spectrum test and the sex tests. Autism is generally a male pattern

Here is the last test I took. It's a version of the Meyer Briggs test, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the results.


The difference between my raw score and the score percentile seem confusing at first. So I retook the test with neutral answers to get a sense of where other people scored:


Factor I was labelled as Extroversion by the developers of the IPIP-BFFM. Factor I is sometimes given other names, such as Surgency or Positive Emotionality.
Individuals who score high on Factor I one are outgoing and social. Individuals who score low tend to be shut ins.
Factor II is labeled as Emotional Stability. Factor II is often referred to by other names, such as Neruoticism or Negative Emotionality (in these two cases interpretations are inverted, as Neruoticism and Negative Emotionality can be though of as the opposite of Emotional Stability).
Factor III is labeled as Agreeableness. A person high in agreeableness is friendly and optimistic. Low scorers are critical and aggressive.
Factor IV is labeled as Conscientiousness. Individuals who score high on this factor are careful and diligent. Low scorers are impulsive and disorganized
Factor V is labeled as Intellect/Imagination. This factor is also often called Openness to Experience.
People who score low tend to be traditional and conventional.

So it makes sense that I scored medium on intellect/imagination (also called openness to experience), but only higher than 23% of people, because the people taking the test are especially untraditional and unconventional.

The same can be said about agreeableness. A medium score in agreeableness is much lower than the average test taker. Again, this is an unusual pattern found in online tests where you get a lot of internet nerds and SlateStar rationalists taking the test.